The feeling of being on your own can be really hard to cope with. We can feel alone when we are physically away from people, isolated without anyone else around and we can also be alone when we are with people who we feel distant from and not understood by, even if they are sitting across the room from us.
The truth is that we are never alone because God is everywhere and sees and knows everything. For some people that can be a great comfort but for others that may feel even more worrying because of the things we do that we would prefer him not to see or know about.
Things we can do to feel permanently less alone...
- Talk to God: We don't need to use special set words or prayer, simply speak to God with your own words from your heart and mean what you say.
- Get to know God: Although it is true that God is everywhere, the Bible tells us that in a different, much more special way he is close to those that trust in him and follow Him. Jesus promised his followers that he would always be with them.
- Things we can do to feel temporarily less alone...
- Talk to someone on the phone: Give someone a call, if you don't know who to speak to then there are Christian Helplines where you can speak to a Christian - you can just chat about your struggles or ask them to pray with you: 0300 111 0101 (9am-midnight)
- Put the radio or TV on: Find a nice TV channel to put on in the background, or a radio channel where there is more speaking (eg Radio 4). Having voices in the house can really help us to feel less alone.
Many people struggle with this, men, women, young and old. It would be great to chat with you about things that will help you to feel more full of hope and purpose, and to pray for you if that is something you would like.
Think about the spiritual you
Do you believe there is a God? Have you ever spent time trying to learn about who Jesus is, what he did and why he did it?
When people believe that Jesus loves them and is interested in them it gives them a bigger picture of the world around them and of what life is all about. It gives them a new hope and a new focus. The more you get to know Jesus the more you will know and understand how much he cares about you and what is happening in your life – We have a free App that will help you find out about Jesus for yourself.